Saturday, November 8, 2014

Labeling Your Path = Bad Idea

I'm sure that if you have that rare shot at coming across another Pagan on the street, you ask them what Pagan tradition they follow and they'll say they are Wiccan, Druid, Shaman, or any other path name. But, I have noticed that many of us have the infamous habit to label our path with a specific name that must adhere to everything that path teaches. Is this a positive action for our spiritual evolution or not? I think it's a bad idea. Here's why:

1. Labeling can potentially lead us to becoming more close-minded about what can be out there. As they say, modern day Paganism has no dogma. That's right! We have the amazing free will to study other things and the free choice to stir one tradition with another to meet our soul's satisfaction. If we label, we may not discover other practices that exist and that can aid us on the spiritual journey. 

2. Labeling can create self-confusion in times of spiritual doubt. I am your prime example. Currently,  I am dabbling between Pantheism blended with Witchcraft or Wicca. For three years, I preferred to title myself as a 110% Wiccan. I didn't consider the other options. I am becoming very interested in science's role in spirituality and faith. Therefore, I have contemplated what I'd fit better into label wise. I have questioned the existence of Goddess. I have realized that there are unique blends of faith out there besides calling myself a Wiccan. If I would have been more open earlier, maybe I wouldn't be so mind-boggled now. And, as we grow older, it is natural for our minds to not feel satisfied with a certain title anymore. Hell, does a title even fucking matter anymore?

3. Labeling can limit our lifelong knowledge. If we become too involved in studying our labeled faith, we will indeed miss out on learning about every form of Paganism on the planet. This will also take away intelligent conversations we could have had with other people. So, crack open a new book just to gain the treasure of new knowledge.

All in all, we don't need to label our path in order to feel secure. Giving our path a name isn't a horrible idea either, but when we become slightly stubborn over that title, that is when things can start to go wrong. Let's study and learn new things!

P.S. I have a new and very interesting article on how the story of the Big Bang Theory's creation can relate to the Goddess and God creating us. It will be a post describing how I can possibly fuse some pantheistic ideas into my Wiccan perspective with some science involved. Check back for it soon!

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-57608208-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment