Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Core of Paganism

Listen carefully, my dear friends,

Tonight I sat on my porch with my boyfriend. Under the stars, he looked in my blue eyes and confessed he has had a deep longing to understand what kind of spiritual truth lies at Paganism's core. Hang on to your seat. Clench your jaw if you must. This is going to be a tough one for me to make clear. I want to try for him and myself. Wish me luck. I shall cross my fingers and pray to Goddess that you will be able to follow along through this deep river I have swam through tonight!

This is what our general definition of Paganism consists of; belief of an afterlife, sacredness in nature, polytheism, world peace, sexuality, creativity, the circle of life, and philosophy.  These are the smaller pieces of the picture when you break the general terms down; no dogma, magick, mysteries of the universe, the occult, the paranormal, magick: unexplainable sciences. The New Age has inspired studies to be made on the methaphysical, psychic abilities, qauntum physics, mindfulness, and how to attract success in our lives as we breathe in the dawn of each new day. Those alone cannot decipher what the 'core' of Paganism is. The answer lies between how values, morals, and ethical codes make up the religion. I had created a list of what I feel belongs in each category. These have no right or wrong answers. I encourage you to read my interpretation and develop your own opinion. 

Values:

We value harmony, peace, perfect love, trust, instinct, sexuality, energies, wisdom, discipline, free will, philosophy, and creativity. 

Morals:

We feel we must follow the rules and laws of the Universe; relying on positive energies only to help the world prosper. We consider ecological studies as a highly important factor  in our practice; to keep Mother Earth clean, healthy, and safe means we will be in good hands from a cleansing world. 

Ethical Codes:

We believe we must do as we will and need to do, to not harm ourselves and all other life around us for manipulative and wrongful purposes. 

My Conclusion:

Let's connect some similar patterns we see; respecting Earth, promoting peace, and loving others as best as we can. I'd say there is one major 'core' theme I want to approve of in my own mind.  The core of Paganism may reflect upon how the ancient people lived. They only relied on survival. They had no government. They had no advanced technology to save them. All they had was the Earth and their human capabilities they hardly understood. Like any other religion, their faith may have established from a psychological want to survive for as long as they could and to survive even after death. The faith became a fuel for fire, an adrenaline rush, to keep the human existence in tact. This can either be looked at as depressing or enlightening. If you consider what their basic creations have given us, there's no wonder why we humans are still at the top of the chain. We still run on that spiritual fuel, that adrenaline, because if there is some new life beyond us, then we'll be leaving behind our achievements for the future generations to expand upon. The creation of religion has sparked this flame in every other religion out there. That psychological and physical want is a purposeful blessing. It's what keeps us going until our end.

No comments:

Post a Comment