Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Psychology VS. Magick: Article Debate

During my long class break at college today, I came across a very intriguing article for those of you out there (like me) that may be questioning if magick's theory is true, false, or total bogus that was invented throughout the centuries. For those of you readers who highly value magick, please be aware that I am not about to attempt withering the existence of magick. I am simply writing my response to this article I came across. This article appeared on Psychology Today. It is called Magical Thinking and the rights fully belong to the author, Matthew Hutson, and the administration behind Psychology Today's website.  Please be aware that this is my homemade summary based upon the contents within the article. Enough said. If you'd like to follow along with my post and the article, here is the link before I start:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200802/magical-thinking

My Summary 

Magical Thinking is an article about how irrational beliefs may impact the believers in today's society. From everything ranging to telling children that Santa Claus is real, and of course, the concept of belief in magick, spells, and rituals, the psychological perspective on irrational magical thinking in every age group of people can either be a negative or positive quality in society. 

Magick in Paganism: My Point of View (According to the article) 

I'm not sure where to begin with this. In Wicca, for example, a very common Pagan faith that emphasizes using magick, believes that when our thoughts are released, it creates energy that can influence a desired outcome or result. While this philosophy sounds a tad bit logical, how do we know if magick actually produces the desired outcome or result in a situation? Belief may not be the answer to that question alone. While magick does require belief, how can we observe how magick functions in life? Does successful magick charge through the power or coincidence? Or, is the power of coincidence not sacred at all and is merely just a coincidence promoted by luck and chance? Most likely, no one can answer this unsettling mystery. I'm beginning to desire logical evidence that can prove the essence of magick. When I read the article, I became slightly confused over what I have been doing with the last nine years on and off of my life. I also read a different article that made it sound like the use of magick may only be the use of OCD patients to feel in control of their anxieties. I am diagnosed with OCD. I began to worry and think, "What if my love for this has been a lie?" Well, maybe my OCD did ignite an obsessive need to practice magick in order to feel control. I hardly remember practicing it consistently in times of worry or self doubt. There was a time period where I did become fixated on learning and practicing Wicca back in 2011. But, was that an indication that I shouldn't follow a spiritual path that I had been intensely eager about? No. Instead, it was just my OCD getting a bit too focused on learning. If I would have set a weekly time limit on my studies, I probably would have been better off. 

In the article, it also talks about how magical thinking may be a positive quality to have. When it comes down to our kind of magick, some psychologists claim that the desired outcome of our magick may stem directly from magick enhancing our positive thinking in order to reach the outcome. If this is the case, then magick is nothing magickal at all. In fact, it isn't considered magickal in witchcraft-related religion, because magick is a natural process in the world. If this is the question answered about how magick transforms reality, then I would believe that this claim is the best answer. To me, magick is a creative and trance-induced art that is really just a creative expression of prayer. Christians do it. We do it. There's not much of a difference. All in all, both perspectives are unique. 

The simple answer is this: the interpretation of if magick works in the way we think cannot lead us to a positive answer. Take it as you will. As for me personally, I think I'll tap into the art again to see what I truly think. 

Blessings!

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-57608208-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment